From cleaning the gutters to maintaining the dryer vent, home maintenance is an ongoing responsibility. You will find that there are certain tasks which are best accomplished during the summertime. In order to keep unwanted pests away from your residence keeping your home clean at this time of year is imperative. This will also aid in keeping your family healthy and happy.
Below are 11 home maintenance tips we recommend during the summer months:
- Summer is the perfect time to clean all of the appliances in your kitchen. We recommend that you do a thorough cleaning of the inside of your refrigerator as well as your oven, and clean small appliances such as your toaster and coffee maker.
- You will find that the floors dry faster during the summer than any other time of year! This provides the perfect opportunity for you to shampoo your carpets or to clean and buff your hardwood floors.
- Did you know that shower heads need to be cleaned periodically in order to ensure efficiency? Do you remember when you last cleaned your shower heads? While you’re working in the bathroom, be sure to clean the drains with a mixture of baking soda and white vinegar.
- Since you will be using your faucets and hoses more than any other time of year this is an opportunity to inspect all of them for leaks.
Dryer Vent Maintenance
- Cleaning your dryer vent will prevent any potential house fires during the hot summer months, it will help to increase the energy and efficiency of your home.
- Your home has various alarms which will need batteries to be replaced at least once per year. It is recommended that you get new batteries for items such as smoke and carbon monoxide detectors regularly. It is also advisable to check your fire extinguishers to see if they need to be recharged.
- Taking a moment to replace the filters in your HVAC system is one way to reduce the many allergens that may be present.
- Your HVAC system should be maintained on an annual basis. Do this now – so your air conditioner will work efficiently throughout the hottest months, and your heating system will be in good condition when temperatures begin to drop again.
- The best time to check your roof is when the air is warm and dry. If the tiles or shingles are loose or damaged, this is the perfect time to have them repaired or replaced.
- Summer is also a good season for cleaning the gutters. You can buy a tool with an extended attachment to make this task a bit easier!
- Clean your deck while it’s warm and dry. This will also provide an opportunity for you to check for signs of wear and tear that need to be addressed.
Bay Area Termite, Roof, and Home Inspections
Now that you know what to do, you can get started on your summer home maintenance routine! Don’t forget to have a home inspection if you are planning to sell or buy a home. At HomeGuard, we provide termite inspections, roof inspections, and home inspections for most of Northern California. We also provide National Hazard Disclosure (NHD) reports for all California residents. Feel free to reach out to us online, or call us at (855) 331-1900 for all of your home inspection needs.